Tuesday 27 July 2010

Phone Calls: Keeping Kids Off the Streets?

Last week, I was reading Ross Trudeau's analysis of Lee Canter's assertive discipline. Canter is bringing some of his strategies to the MATCH Teacher Training Program, including this crazy walkie-talkie system that gives teachers immediate feedback on their presence in the classroom. (I'm not going to describe it in-depth, so read Ross's post if you want to know more.) Canter believes that urgency must characterize a teacher's every move. His justification?

"Hey, that classroom is chaos. You know the only thing between those kids and the street? YOU. You gotta dig deep and find that stronger voice or it's the STREET."

I happen to think that factors other than vocal urgency keep kids off the streets. (I'm sure Canter and Ross would agree with me). The gist of Canter's message, however, hits a powerful chord. Here's the chord it hit with me. I thought, "I should really call my students from MATCH."

It wasn't guilt that caused me to pick up the phone. Canter's statement was a powerful reminder of what I already knew: kids from low-income, tough environments need all the support they can get. My 7th graders need reminders that I care about them: I care about the video game that Gardy just beat and what Joselia's camp counselor said to her. When you're 13, those things mean the world to you, and you're bursting for someone to ask you about them. I want to be that person for my kids.

I remind all of them (and their parents) that they can call me anytime. I'm not just an academic resource, and I haven't disappeared because the school year is over. Instead, I am one of the many supports that will keep my kids off the street. That's a role I'm proud to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment